Croxley Green History Project
  • Home
  • Chronicle
    • John Caius
    • Latin Document
    • Suffragettes
    • Suffragettes Damage
    • Queen Victoria
    • Regional Planning Report 1927
    • Proteas
  • Manor of Croxley
  • A Village Grows
  • Estates & Roads
    • A Stroll Down New Road >
      • Introduction
      • Odd Numbers
      • Census Interlude
      • Even Numbers
      • Appendix 1
      • Appendix 2
      • Appendix 3
    • Byewaters Estate
    • Council Houses
    • Cassiobridge Estate
    • Kebbell Housing
    • Durrants Estate
    • Highfield and Windmill Estate
    • Mayfare Estate
    • Nuttfield Estate
    • Parrotts Estate
    • Prefabricated Housing
    • Street Names >
      • Street Names
  • World Wars
    • War Memorial WW1
    • First World War 1914-1918
    • WWI Soldiers from Croxley
    • WW1 Centenary >
      • Community Club 03-10-2018
      • Celebrations 100 years 1918 -2019
      • Remembrance Day 11-11-2018
      • Residents Photographs 11-11-18
      • All Saints Memorial Doors
      • All Saints Memorial Doors Booklet
      • Peace Picnic 14-07-2019
    • Dickinson Memorial Cross
    • War Memorial WW2
    • Second World War 1939-1945 >
      • WW2 Timeline
      • Civil Defence
      • Celebrations
      • Rationing
      • Croxley Mill
      • All Saints Rededication
      • Second World War Memories >
        • WW2 Memories - Glenn Kinnear
        • WW2 Memories - Jill Butler
    • WW2 Forces and Croxley Residents
    • War Memorial (Cleaning)
    • WW2 50th Commemorations
    • WW2 Secrets of Croxley House
    • WW2 Secrets of Redheath House
  • Schooldays
    • Children at Play
    • Yorke Road School >
      • Yorke Road School History
      • William Scorer - Architect of Yorke Road School
      • Leukaemia Research
      • Paul O'Reilly Builders
      • Grand Opening
    • Yorke Road Infants School
    • Yorke Road Girls School
    • The Old Boys School Watford Road
    • Harvey Road School
    • Durrants School >
      • Durrants Memories
      • Croxley Song Book
      • Croxley Song Book
      • Physical Education
    • Malvern Way School
    • Little Green School >
      • Little Green School - Architects Journal
    • Rickmansworth School
    • Yorke Mead School
    • Oak House Private School
  • Institute / Guildhouse
  • Railway to Croxley Green
    • Memories of the Tube
  • Shops & Businesses
  • Celebrating
    • Golden Jubilee Queen Victoria 1887
    • Diamond Jubilee Queen Victoria 1897
    • Coronation Edward VII 1902
    • Coronation George V 1911
    • Silver Jubilee George V 1935
    • Coronation George VI 1937
    • Festival of Britain 1951
    • Coronation Elizabeth II 1953
    • Coronation Charles III and Camilla 2023
  • Churches
    • All Saints Church >
      • All Saints Consecrated
      • All Saints First Baptisms
      • All Saints First Wedding
      • Reverend Astley Roberts
      • Reverend Blois Bisshopp
      • Reverend C. E. H. Donnell
    • Baptist Church
    • Fuller Way
    • Gospel Hall
    • Little Chapel Chandlers Cross
    • Methodist Church New Road
    • St Bedes
    • St Oswald Church
    • Sarratt Graveyard
  • Public Houses
    • The Artichoke
    • The Coach and Horses
    • Duke of York
    • The Fox and Hounds
    • George and Dragon
    • Gladstone Arms
    • The Halfway House
    • The Plough
    • The Red House
    • The Rose
    • The Sportsman
    • The Two Bridges
  • Community Activities
    • Croxley Camera Club >
      • Croxley Camera Club - Early Days
      • Croxley Camera Club - Moving Forward
      • Croxley Camera Club - Reaching the Majority
      • Croxley Camera Club - Inflation & Deflation
      • Croxley Camera Club - A New Millennium
      • Croxley Camera Club - In Retrospect
      • Croxley Camera Club Calendar
      • Croxley Camera Club - Collaborations
    • Church Lads Boys Brigade
    • Croxley Green Society >
      • Croxley Festival 1951
    • Croxley Mummers
    • Croxley Week
    • Girls Brigade
    • The Revels >
      • Revels Chronicle
      • Revels Archives
    • Parish Council >
      • Croxley Green Parish Map
      • Croxley Green Main
      • CGPC Craft Fair
    • The Red Cross Centre - Croxley Green >
      • Red Cross Donations & 25th Anniversary
      • Red Cross Lease & Documents
      • 1970s First Aid Training
      • Kathleen Wilcox 100th Birthday
    • Scouts Brownies Guides >
      • Scouting in Croxley Green >
        • Scouting through the years
        • Scouting Terminology
      • Scouting Memorabilia
    • Wassail
    • Youth Club
  • Sports
    • John Dickinson Sports >
      • Dickinson Sports - Tennis Club
      • Football Team
      • Ladies Hockey
      • Rifle Club
    • Football
    • National Association of Boys Club
    • Old Boys School
    • Old Boys Football Club
  • Croxley at Work
    • John Dickinson >
      • Aerial views of the Mill
      • Coal Deliveries
      • Croxley Worldwide
      • Fire Fighters >
        • William Beauchamp (Fire Fighter)
      • The Mill Railway
      • The Mill Employees >
        • Charles Barton-Smith
        • Percy Barton-Smith
        • Charles Hope Little
        • Union of the House of Dickinson
      • Mill Photos
      • General Views
      • Plans of the Mill
      • Delivery Vehicles
      • 1896 Booklet
      • JD Booklet
    • Blacksmiths
    • Coal Deliveries
    • Croxley Commercial College
    • G H Browning Recovery
    • Sand and Gravel
    • The Windmill
    • Watercress Growers
  • Croxley Farms
    • Croxley Hall Farm >
      • The Bovingdon Family & Croxley Hall Farm
      • Croxley Great Barn
    • Durrants Farm Estate
    • Hollow Tree Farm
    • Killingdown Farm
    • Lovatts Whitegates
    • Stones Orchard >
      • Stones Orchard Excavation
    • Parrotts Farm
  • Census & Register
    • Census 1841
    • Census 1851
    • Census 1861
    • Census 1871
    • Census 1881
    • Census 1891
    • Census 1901
    • Census 1911
    • Census 1921
    • 1939 Register
    • Population
  • Publications
    • 1896 Booklet
    • 1896 Booklet 1
    • The Croxley Resident Archives
    • The Parish Pump Issue 1 to 26
    • Parish Pump Issue 27 to Current
    • Local Directories
  • Village Views
    • Aerial Photos
    • Croxley From Above
    • Before and After >
      • B&W / Recoloured
      • Original / Modern
      • Merged B&W / Colour
  • Famous Locals
  • Local Memories
  • Recorded Memories
  • Trees on the Green
  • Walking in Croxley
    • Historical Boundary Walk
    • Circular Walks
    • Around Croxley Common Moor
    • Village Walk
    • Wartime Walk in Croxley Green
  • Albert Freeman Diaries
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1915
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1917
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1918
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1919
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1920
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1921
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1922
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1923
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1924
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1925
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1926
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1927
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1928
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1929
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1930
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1931
  • HELP
    • Page Directory
    • Useful Links
    • Committee
    • Copyright
  • Contact Us
A stroll down New Road - Odds 175 to Barton Way
Picture
Map Data: Purple - Early Cottage Names / Blue - Current Cottage Names / Green - Buildings on 1880 OS Map / Pink - Buildings since 1914 OS Map
The last shop in this parade is No. 175 (numbers 171 and 173 appear no longer to exist), and, although it may have been refurbished, I suspect the shell is the original.
 
It is listed in the 1891 census under the name of “Rowan Cottage” occupied by a “Collin Beasley” who was said to be “living on his own means”.
Picture
Number 175 in 2006
Picture
Kelly’s 1901, 1910/11, 1919/20 and 1930 all list it as “Frederick Jackson, Butcher” so it has been used in this trade for a good many years. 
 
The adjacent advert is from the 1914 Peacocks Trade Directory 

Sometime between 1940 and 1966 it became “W Gadsden and Son” advertising “home killed meat”. This name was also listed in both the 1968 and 1974 Kelly’s Directory and was still advertising in the St Oswald’s church magazine in 1978, adding “fresh poultry and capons” to its fare. 
Picture
Picture
By 1988 the same magazine was advertising “Hirons, Family Butchers and Poulterers”. 
It then became Croxley Meats and then in 2014 Butler and Sons Quality Family Butchers, so carrying on a long history as a butcher’s shop until it closed down in 2019.
The occupier informed me in 2008 that, when he commenced working there for Hiron’s, the shop still had the original slaughter house at the rear.
There were rails in the ceiling from which the carcasses were hung and channels formed in the floor to remove the blood. This was all demolished when the cold rooms were extended at the back of the shop.
Picture
There is also anecdotal evidence that, at some unspecified time, a Mr. Mead sold wet fish from a table in his garden in one of the nearby cottages. The fish were gutted and cleaned in his scullery on the premises.
In the 1891 census, the owners of the cottages in this area, which would have been numbered 163 to 173, had widely differing occupations.
In No. 163 was Henry Gibson a General Labourer; No. 165 was James Batchelor a Ploughman;
No. 167 Sofia King “living on her own means”; No. 169 William Garland, a Boatman (same name and possibly the same person who later ran the Fish Shop at No. 115); No. 171 Charles Puddifoot another general labourer and No. 173 William Gurnett a watercress labourer.
Nos. 177 to 181 are on the 1891 census under the name 1 to 3 Rye Cottages.

​
The next pair, Nos. 183 & 185 were shown as being present on the 1871 O.S. map and are listed in the 1891 census under the name of Albert Cottages – both of these names appear to have dropped out of use.
Although Nos. 183 & 185 look fairly new, I suspect that they may well be the originals which have had a bit of a face lift.

Picture
Numbers 183 and 185 in 2006
Picture
The Croxley Library was opened in July 1966 on the site of two large cottages and an adjoining orchard. The current location of the library (and Red Cross Centre) is shown superimposed on the adjacent extract of the 1914 OS plan.
These two houses would have been numbered 199 and 201 and, although, like all of the others, they were not numbered in the 1891 census, they were included and we calculate that No. 199 was occupied by John Overton a Jobbing Gardener and No. 201 by Gertrude Holdish, “living on her own means”.

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that, in later years, just prior to their demolition, one of the houses was used as a hairdressers, with men using the front door and women the back.
The library was destroyed by fire in December 1992.
The adjacent photograph from the Three Rivers Museum shows the state of the library the day after the fire.

Picture
Destroyed by fire - December 1992
Picture
Croxley Library in 2006
The library was rebuilt in 1994 and its current address is actually Barton Way, NOT New Road.
Barton Way is situated between the Library and No. 209 New Road. The road was built in the 1930s on land purchased from Parrotts Farm. It is named after Charles Barton-Smith, manager of the Croxley Mills from 1895 to 1918. It is now known, however, that he was christened just plain Charles Smith. The “Barton” may have been a second Christian name but it is more likely that it was “created”, making him sound a bit grander as promotion came his way. Over the years it became adopted as a double-barrelled surname and his children all carried the surname Barton-Smith.
In Barton Way, opposite the library entrance, was a marble Celtic cross, salvaged from the Mill on its demolition in the 1980s.  Along with a bronze memorial tablet, it had commemorated the employees of Dickinsons who were killed in both world wars. In 2006 there is an area of hedge which is cut back and looks as if it might have been the site of the cross, which for a while was moved into the garden of the adjacent house for safe keeping. The bronze tablet was fixed to the south wall of All Saints Church and a Garden of Remembrance created in front
PREVIOUS PAGE  /  NEXT PAGE
Picture
CGHP are proud to be included on the Imperial War Museum "Mapping the Centenary" project website. You can see other projects HERE and our project HERE
© Ross Humphries
Clicking on a photo will open it in a new window to hopefully be viewable more easily​
Please contact us should you wish to contribute or have images you would like to share. Contact HERE
Picture
© Croxley Green History Project 2025        Legal | Privacy

If you have any questions or comments please use the contact page