Croxley Green History Project
  • Home
  • Chronicle
    • John Caius
    • Latin Document
    • Suffragettes
    • Suffragettes Damage
    • Queen Victoria
    • Regional Planning Report 1927
    • Proteas
  • Manor of Croxley
  • A Village Grows
  • Estates & Roads
    • A Stroll Down New Road >
      • Introduction
      • Odd Numbers
      • Census Interlude
      • Even Numbers
      • Appendix 1
      • Appendix 2
      • Appendix 3
    • Byewaters Estate
    • Council Houses
    • Cassiobridge Estate
    • Kebbell Housing
    • Durrants Estate
    • Highfield and Windmill Estate
    • Mayfare Estate
    • Nuttfield Estate
    • Parrotts Estate
    • Prefabricated Housing
    • Street Names >
      • Street Names
  • World Wars
    • War Memorial WW1
    • First World War 1914-1918
    • WWI Soldiers from Croxley
    • WW1 Centenary >
      • Community Club 03-10-2018
      • Celebrations 100 years 1918 -2019
      • Remembrance Day 11-11-2018
      • Residents Photographs 11-11-18
      • All Saints Memorial Doors
      • All Saints Memorial Doors Booklet
      • Peace Picnic 14-07-2019
    • Dickinson Memorial Cross
    • War Memorial WW2
    • Second World War 1939-1945 >
      • WW2 Timeline
      • Civil Defence
      • Celebrations
      • Rationing
      • Croxley Mill
      • All Saints Rededication
      • Second World War Memories >
        • WW2 Memories - Glenn Kinnear
        • WW2 Memories - Jill Butler
    • WW2 Forces and Croxley Residents
    • War Memorial (Cleaning)
    • WW2 50th Commemorations
    • WW2 Secrets of Croxley House
    • WW2 Secrets of Redheath House
  • Schooldays
    • Children at Play
    • Yorke Road School >
      • Yorke Road School History
      • William Scorer - Architect of Yorke Road School
      • Leukaemia Research
      • Paul O'Reilly Builders
      • Grand Opening
    • Yorke Road Infants School
    • Yorke Road Girls School
    • The Old Boys School Watford Road
    • Harvey Road School
    • Durrants School >
      • Durrants Memories
      • Croxley Song Book
      • Croxley Song Book
      • Physical Education
    • Malvern Way School
    • Little Green School >
      • Little Green School - Architects Journal
    • Rickmansworth School
    • Yorke Mead School
    • Oak House Private School
  • Institute / Guildhouse
  • Railway to Croxley Green
    • Memories of the Tube
  • Shops & Businesses
  • Celebrating
    • Golden Jubilee Queen Victoria 1887
    • Diamond Jubilee Queen Victoria 1897
    • Coronation Edward VII 1902
    • Coronation George V 1911
    • Silver Jubilee George V 1935
    • Coronation George VI 1937
    • Festival of Britain 1951
    • Coronation Elizabeth II 1953
    • Coronation Charles III and Camilla 2023
  • Churches
    • All Saints Church >
      • All Saints Consecrated
      • All Saints First Baptisms
      • All Saints First Wedding
      • Reverend Astley Roberts
      • Reverend Blois Bisshopp
      • Reverend C. E. H. Donnell
    • Baptist Church
    • Fuller Way
    • Gospel Hall
    • Little Chapel Chandlers Cross
    • Methodist Church New Road
    • St Bedes
    • St Oswald Church
    • Sarratt Graveyard
  • Public Houses
    • The Artichoke
    • The Coach and Horses
    • Duke of York
    • The Fox and Hounds
    • George and Dragon
    • Gladstone Arms
    • The Halfway House
    • The Plough
    • The Red House
    • The Rose
    • The Sportsman
    • The Two Bridges
  • Community Activities
    • Croxley Camera Club >
      • Croxley Camera Club - Early Days
      • Croxley Camera Club - Moving Forward
      • Croxley Camera Club - Reaching the Majority
      • Croxley Camera Club - Inflation & Deflation
      • Croxley Camera Club - A New Millennium
      • Croxley Camera Club - In Retrospect
      • Croxley Camera Club Calendar
      • Croxley Camera Club - Collaborations
    • Church Lads Boys Brigade
    • Croxley Green Society >
      • Croxley Festival 1951
    • Croxley Mummers
    • Croxley Week
    • Girls Brigade
    • The Revels >
      • Revels Chronicle
      • Revels Archives
    • Parish Council >
      • Croxley Green Parish Map
      • Croxley Green Main
      • CGPC Craft Fair
    • The Red Cross Centre - Croxley Green >
      • Red Cross Donations & 25th Anniversary
      • Red Cross Lease & Documents
      • 1970s First Aid Training
      • Kathleen Wilcox 100th Birthday
    • Scouts Brownies Guides >
      • Scouting in Croxley Green >
        • Scouting through the years
        • Scouting Terminology
      • Scouting Memorabilia
    • Wassail
    • Youth Club
  • Sports
    • John Dickinson Sports >
      • Dickinson Sports - Tennis Club
      • Football Team
      • Ladies Hockey
      • Rifle Club
    • Football
    • National Association of Boys Club
    • Old Boys School
    • Old Boys Football Club
  • Croxley at Work
    • John Dickinson >
      • Aerial views of the Mill
      • Coal Deliveries
      • Croxley Worldwide
      • Fire Fighters >
        • William Beauchamp (Fire Fighter)
      • The Mill Railway
      • The Mill Employees >
        • Charles Barton-Smith
        • Percy Barton-Smith
        • Charles Hope Little
        • Union of the House of Dickinson
      • Mill Photos
      • General Views
      • Plans of the Mill
      • Delivery Vehicles
      • 1896 Booklet
      • JD Booklet
    • Blacksmiths
    • Coal Deliveries
    • Croxley Commercial College
    • G H Browning Recovery
    • Sand and Gravel
    • The Windmill
    • Watercress Growers
  • Croxley Farms
    • Croxley Hall Farm >
      • The Bovingdon Family & Croxley Hall Farm
      • Croxley Great Barn
    • Durrants Farm Estate
    • Hollow Tree Farm
    • Killingdown Farm
    • Lovatts Whitegates
    • Stones Orchard >
      • Stones Orchard Excavation
    • Parrotts Farm
  • Census & Register
    • Census 1841
    • Census 1851
    • Census 1861
    • Census 1871
    • Census 1881
    • Census 1891
    • Census 1901
    • Census 1911
    • Census 1921
    • 1939 Register
    • Population
  • Publications
    • 1896 Booklet
    • 1896 Booklet 1
    • The Croxley Resident Archives
    • The Parish Pump Issue 1 to 26
    • Parish Pump Issue 27 to Current
    • Local Directories
  • Village Views
    • Aerial Photos
    • Croxley From Above
    • Before and After >
      • B&W / Recoloured
      • Original / Modern
      • Merged B&W / Colour
  • Famous Locals
  • Local Memories
  • Recorded Memories
  • Trees on the Green
  • Walking in Croxley
    • Historical Boundary Walk
    • Circular Walks
    • Around Croxley Common Moor
    • Village Walk
    • Wartime Walk in Croxley Green
  • Albert Freeman Diaries
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1915
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1917
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1918
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1919
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1920
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1921
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1922
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1923
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1924
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1925
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1926
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1927
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1928
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1929
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1930
    • Albert Freeman Diaries 1931
  • HELP
    • Page Directory
    • Useful Links
    • Committee
    • Copyright
  • Contact Us
A stroll down New Road - Evens 252 to End
Picture
Map Data: Purple - Early Cottage Names / Blue - Current Cottage Names / Green - Buildings on 1880 OS Map / Pink - Buildings since 1914 OS Map
No. 252 (on the right of the photo on the preceding page) is also listed as No. 1 Wilbee Terrace on the 1891 census with the others, from right to left, continuing as numbers 2 to 5. It is shown as being occupied by a George Poney, Police Constable.
In 1910/11, 1919/1920 and again in 1930 it was listed in Kelly’s as being occupied by a Police Constable Joseph Preston Haggar, so it seems clear that for this period it was a Police house.
The late Cathie Child from St Oswald’s remembered there being a sign over the door indicating that this was the local office of the Hertfordshire Constabulary.
In addition to the police constable, this block of cottages housed a canal boatman, a paper mill worker, a widow “living on own means” and the fifth was unoccupied on census day.
The 1930 Kelly’s has No.264 occupied by Alfred G Edwards, Hairdresser.
Nos. 266 was listed in 1940 as “George Burridge, Upholsterer”. It is clearly a private house now but might always have been, as this type of trade would not necessarily require a shop.
Picture
Number 272 is another ex-shop in 2006
No. 272 is another ex-shop which is now a private house, listed in the 1891 census and again in the 1901, 1910/11 and 1919/20 Kelly’s as being “Robert Darby, Boot Maker”.
Picture
Number 276 was the Rose pub on the 1881 census
No. 276 has a history that is both interesting and a little elusive.
In the 1881 census it is listed as “The Rose” with no explanation as to what it was, although we have assumed it to be a beer-house. It was occupied by George Wilkins a 69 year old described as a cowman and agricultural labourer and his wife, Mary Ann, who was then 70.
The 1891 census lists it, still under the name of “The Rose”, but by then it was occupied by Henry Hawkins, beer-house keeper.  By 1901 and again in 1910/1911, still named “The Rose”, its occupier was shown by Kelly’s as Arthur E Pooley, a beer retailer.
Our difficulty was in getting confirmation of exactly where it was and this was finally provided when we found that the 1902 Peacock’s Directory had both the name and the address. It lists No. 276 as “The Rose” occupied by a Mr T W Poclev. It changed use soon after this and the 1913 Kelly’s indicates that it had become a shop, run by a Mrs. M A Clark - the nature of her trade is not stated.
There is a suggestion that the cellar still, today, holds evidence of the old beer engines, etc., but I haven’t yet asked them.
The 1940 Kelly’s entry shows that it had been split into two parts - 276a was occupied by “Mrs M J Connoll, Confectioner” and 276 by Mrs Lilian Robinson, selling “Home Made Pastries”. 

By 1966, 276a (which I have assumed to have been the right hand half) was advertising in the St. Oswald’s church magazine as the “Busy Bee”, selling confectionary, cigarettes and tobacco and, by the following year their advert indicated that they were also selling Garners Bread and Cakes and frozen foods as well. The name “Busy Bee” was confirmed in the 1974 Kelly’s.
Picture
Another advert in a 1972 St Oswald’s magazine showed that it was also the collection point for “Wilson’s Footwear Repair Service” although by 1976 this facility had moved to Newtons Florist at No.275 as previously mentioned.
 
The 1974 Kelly’s also lists at No. 276 (I have assumed it to be for 276b) “R A Tolley, Radio Dealer”, and a 2006 internet search came up with “Gazelle Ventures Ltd., Air Conditioning Installation” at No. 276b, although there is no sign that I could see of this company at this address now.

Picture
I have come across one other advert for these premises, this time in a 1977 St Oswald’s magazine. This is for “B&H Printing Services”, and, again, it just lists their address as No. 276, so it is not clear which side of the premises it refers to.
A local resident has confirmed, however, that he recalls a printers operating from the left hand side of the shop and that their printing facilities were contained in sheds in the garden at the rear. 

Picture
Picture
In 2006 the right hand property was occupied by “Pearson Turner Partnership, Estate and letting agents”, who had previously been located at No. 141.
 
The whole property  is currently occupied by “M25 Security Systems Ltd.”

Picture
The next door site which, for many years appeared to be undeveloped, is now the site of two blocks of maisonettes, Nod. 278 to 292.
Picture
Maisonettes numbers 278 to 292 in 2006
Picture
The Red House c1910
The last building on this side of the road is The Red House, another public house, whose address is actually Watford Road and not New Road.
 
The postcard alongside is from the All Saints’ church archive and shows the pub c1910.

PREVIOUS PAGE  /  NEXT PAGE
Picture
CGHP are proud to be included on the Imperial War Museum "Mapping the Centenary" project website. You can see other projects HERE and our project HERE
© Ross Humphries
Clicking on a photo will open it in a new window to hopefully be viewable more easily​
Please contact us should you wish to contribute or have images you would like to share. Contact HERE
Picture
© Croxley Green History Project 2025        Legal | Privacy

If you have any questions or comments please use the contact page