The Resident Number 56 No:1 1956
In this Issue
The Civil Defence Officer of Chorleywood is to be shared with Rickmansworth during the absence, through iilness, of the Council's own officer. It would appear that it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the continued interest of the enrolled volunteers, a state of affairs which is almost common throughout the country. Whether Rickmansworth will have to resort to the steps taken by other authorities who have got rid of their volunteers who took no active part in the activities, remains to be seen. Staff Difficulties continue to cause concern at Basing Rouse and it is noteworthy that only one or two applications are received when vacancies are advertised. This position is bound to be reflected in time in the general standards of Local Government staffs, not only here but throughout, the country. It is really a question -of the rate for the job not being adequate,
caused, without doubt, by the numbers employed being out of proportion to the volume of useful work to be done, thus forcing the authorities to adopt lower salary scales as a means of levelling out the expenditure. Without doubt the time will come when only half the number of personnel will be employed to do the same amount of work, and who will receive commensurate salaries.
The Green and Copthorne Road are to be discussed with the representatives of Gonville and Caius College to see whether some agreement can be reached. We wonder whether these meetings will be perpetuated in the same way as the Commoners' rights.
The Resident Number 57 No:2 1956
In this Issue
Road Safety organisers are toying with various ideas which might help to cut down the heavy toll of the roads. They could work solidly for one year removing
all stray animals from the roads and by so doing cut down the accident rate by one-third, either directly or indirectly. .
More Council Houses are likely to find their way into the only odd piece or two of land left undeveloped in Croxley Green. It seems 'that the' theory of balanced
development is good" for only Rickrnansworth Town and Moor Park, and the R.U.D.C. brand of development substituted elsewhere. Croxley Green has not forgotten the battle of the" British Restaurant, and The Shops, and the residents often wonder how many of these decisions were influenced by the purely private ideas of some of the ruling caste at Basing House. The record certainly gives much food for thought.
The Flooding at Maple Cross has been the cause of many flutterings in Council circles. Although the rainfall has been phenomenal no one expects to have such
serious flooding as a matter of regularity, even if such an occurrence on an isolated occasion has always to be considered when sites are being developed. There are bound to be some very awkward questions raised before this matter is cleared, as it is understood many of the tenants have lost their carpets and furnishings.
The Resident Number 58 No:1 1957
In this Issue
It has been said that the history of a town or village begins with the foundation of its Parish Church; this is true of Croxley Green, for before 1872, Croxley was part
of Rickmansworth and did not receive a separate identitiy until that date, when the Ecclesiastical Parish was formed. In 1868 application was made to Caius College for half an acre of ground on which to build a Church, this was granted on the assurance that a sufficient sum of money would be forthcoming for its completion. The Church was to serve a Parish of 1,000 population and
have a seating capacity for 200-300 people. Subscriptions soon exceeded the £2,000 estimated, then because the site originally decided upon was no Ionger available, Caius College suggested that the Church should be built upon the south side of the Green, and that the College would contribute £100 towards the
Building Fund. The site on which the Church now stands was selected,' Mr. John Horten appointed as architect, the style to be Early English. Thirteen tenders weer received, that of Clark of Bath accepted, the price to be £2,318., The foundation stone was laid by Lord Ebury in 1870 and Croxley Green became a
Parish in its own right on r yth October, 1872. The first Vicar was the Rev. Astley Roberts, M:A., who had been Curate in Rickmansworth , Gathering around him an enthusiastic band of workers, the Church soon became the centre of Parish life, with all classes of the population active for the social betterment of the village.
The Resident Number 59 No:2 1957
In this Issue
The Green: A Council Sub-Committee has been formed to decide how best this can be preserved as a Village Green, and a map has been prepared showing all private roads, tracks and footpaths. From the Report it would appear that the Council are as much in the dark over Common Rights as the inhabitants walking along the un lighted roadway. Among suggestions considered for new paths was a winding footpath from North to South on the Church side of the Green: and another for a path some 4 ft. from the road-with a grass verge. The cost of these paths was not stated, but the official concerned advised that either type of path would cost more than £1,000. In the 1957/58 estimates a sum of £350 has
been set aside for the 'maintenance of the Green. At a subsequent Meeting the Council decided that the provision of a roadside footpath along the Green in the present circumstances should be given a higher priority than the widening of Shepherds Lane. The Highways Committee have been requested to make provision in their estimates for County Road Improvements for this work during I958/59.
Land at Cassio Bridge: Confirmation of the Purchase Notice has been received from the Minister of Housing. The R.U .D.C .. have requested from the Minister, a Grant to purchase and have also approached the County Council for 50 % of the balance of the costs acquisition and· clearing.
The Resident Number 60 No:3 1957
In this Issue
The .R.U.D.C. have received a rap on the knuckles from the Croxley Commoners for cutting the grass. Many of us know the feeling of frustration, and can sympathise with the Council not being able to cut the Communal Lawn. Let us hope that the Royal Commission on Common Lands will publish its findings shortly and that this situation can be clarified.
Work has commenced on the resurfacing of the Watford Road from the Met. Station to Cassio Bridge. May we hope that when the work is completed themany
dips at present in the road will have been removed.
CROXLEY THEATRE CLUB
" NIGHT WAS OUR FRIEND," a tense murder play, will be presented at the Guildhouse, Dickinson Square, on Thursday and Friday, October I7th and 18th, at
7·45 p.m. Tickets, price 3/- and 2/-, are obtainable from members or Miss E. Wilson, 82 Watford Road.